Hello everyone, award season is right around the corner. If you are nominating and/or voting for various genre fiction awards this year, please consider our original publications listed below.
Posts Tagged ‘Hugos’
Hello everyone. In case you are eligible to nominate and/or vote for genre fiction awards, here for your consideration are the stories first published by Cast of Wonders in 2017.
All of these stories fall into the Short Story category for both the Hugo and Nebula awards.
Cast of Wonders is eligible for the Best Semiprozine Hugo award. Our editor, Marguerite Kenner, is eligible in the Best Editor: Short Form Hugo category.
2017 first publications:
- “Wished” by Amanda Helms
- “Why I’m Asking For An Extension On My Paper” by Jennifer Hykes
- “Beats” by Brent C. Smith
- “More Than Machines Will Fall to Rust” by Rachael K. Jones
- “A Coat of Salt and Sand” by Katherine Inskip
- “She and I” by J. Lily Corbie
- “The Absolute Temperature of Outer Space” by Sandra M. Odell (an Artemis Rising 3 story!)
- “Hackers’ Faire” by Rati Mehrotra (an Artemis Rising 3 story!)
- “Cross The Street” by Marie Vibbert (an Artemis Rising 3 story!)
- “Mr. Quacky in Space” by Amanda Helms (an Artemis Rising 3 story!)
- “Multiple Choice” by Anica Lewis
- “Remember the Ifrit” by Rajiv Moté
- “Not-So-Stock Photos” by KB Sluss
- “The Tentacles Never Lie” by J.W. Alden
- “Old Teacups and Kitchen Witches” by Kate Baker
- “Lost in Translation” by Afalstein Kloosterman
- “Blood and Water” by Jason Kimble
- “Why They’re Never About The Good Ones” by Evan Dicken
- “The Finder” by Raymond Ziemer
- “The Forty Gardens of Calliope Grey” by Aimee Ogden
- “Single Parent” by Sarah Gailey
- “Phalium arium ssp. anams” by Victoria Sandbrook
- “Chrysalis” by Jennifer Lee Rossman
- “The Black Veils” by Jenny Rae Rappaport
- “Moments in the Crawl” by Evan Berkow
- “Even Death” by Christine Lucas
- “Seer’s Salad” by Barbara A. Barnett
- “Contractual Obligations” by Jaime O. Mayer
- “Twice” by Imaani Cain
- “A Coat For Aodh” by Ika Koeck
- “The Best Busker In The World” by R.K. Duncan
- “The Sherd” by Ryan Schapals
- “A Wish and a Hope and a Dream” by M. Darusha Wehm
- “The Immobile God of Secrets” by Jamie Lackey
- “For” by Sandra M. Odell (a Banned Books Week story!)
- “Below The Serapeum” by Kelsey Dean (a Banned Books Week story!)
- “The Scent That Treason Brings” by Holly Schofield (a Banned Books Week story!)
- “Bibliopothecary” by Dani Atkinson (a Banned Books Week story!)
- “The Lives Beneath” by Katherine Inskip (a Banned Books Week story!)
- “The Forbidden Books of Da Lin Monastery” by Andrew K. Hoe (a Banned Books Week story!)
- “The Wayfinder & His Sister” By Maria Haskins (a Banned Books Week story!)
- “Perdita, Meaning Lost” by Edd Vick
- “A Secret of Devils” by Cassandra Khaw
- “Brothers in Stitches” by Dantzel Cherry
- “Outburst” by B. Morris Allen
Hello everyone! Award nomination season is upon us. If you’re eligible to nominate your favorite short stories of 2016 for the Nebula, the Hugo, and other awards, we humbly submit the following list of Cast of Wonders short story original publications for your consideration:
2016 Original Publications:
- Episodes 197 and 198 The Authorized Biography by Michael G. Ryan
- Episode 199 Leapling by Nicole Feldringer
- Episode 203 The Universe Dress by Laura-Marie Steele
- Episode 207 Millions Times Eight by Jake Walters
- Episode 210 When the Planets Left by J. J. Litke
- Episode 214 The Price of Stories by Shannon Connor Winward
- Episode 215 Problematic by Brian Lawrence Hurrel
- Episode 216 This Story Begins With You by Rachael K. Jones
- Episode 217 Boys’ Night by Rebecca Birch
- Episode 218 Saurs by Craig DeLancey
- Episode 220 Raptor Boy by Elise Forier Edie
- Episode 221 The Jungle Between by Holly Schofield
- Episode 223 The Oulough by Francesca Forrest
- Episode 224 Welcome to Willoughby’s by Michael Reid
- Episode 225 The Four Stewpots by DK Thompson
- Episode 225 Her Path Lay Forward by Shane Halbach
- Episode 219 Dinosaur Dreams in Infinite Measure by Rachael K. Jones (first published, also in 2016, in Writers of the Future Vol 32)
Thank you for your consideration!
Hello everyone, this is Alasdair, the voice of Escape Artists. This is our 2016 metacast to present the stories we ran in 2015 which are eligible in the upcoming Hugo nomination season.
Not Fancast. Not Fanzine. Semiprozine.
Yes, the categories are confusing and often overlap. Fancast as a category is traditionally dominated by commentary shows and sketch based audio programs. Take at look at the finalists over the last couple of years. Whereas the Semiprozine category is home to the types of publications we consider our publishing peers.
While there’s an argument to be made we could split the shows and compete in multiple categories to increase our chances, we don’t think benefits anyone. The division would be artificial at best, extremely difficult to explain given all four of our shows have harmonized pay rates and submissions policies, and smack of gamesmanship which doesn’t interest us.
Don’t get us wrong, we LOVED seeing Podcastle and Escapepod on last year’s Hugo long lists, and we’d be honoured for one of our shows to be a finalist. But that’s a decision that rests solely in the hands of you, our fans and supporters.
And just a note, Mothership Zeta doesn’t qualify this year because they’re too new.
Update: all of our editors (Graeme Dunlop and Rachael K. Jones at PodCastle, Shawn Garrett at Pseudopod, Marguerite Kenner at Cast of Wonders and Norm Sherman at EscapePod) are themselves eligible in the Editor, Short Form category.
These show notes contain links to a few different aggregation projects, where fiction fans are building cumulative lists of those eligible in the various categories. They’re great tools, and we’d like to thank David Steffen in particular for his efforts. We’ll also link to our Wikia page, containing links to all the stories mentioned.
And with that, we present the following for your consideration:
Editor, Short Form:
Cast of Wonders 2015 Short Story first publications:
• Aisha Bets Her Life on Magic by Jarod K. Anderson
• There Are No Marshmallows in Camelot by Christian McKay Heidicker
• Lost Socks by Lisa Montoya
• Above Decks by Terry Ibele
• Fairy Bones by Guy Stewart
• A Troll’s Trade by Sandra M. Odell
• The Mothgate by J.R. Troughton – originally published by Shimmer
• The New Kid Is Not An Alien by Bert Lowe originally published in the July 2015 issue of Spaceports & Spidersilk from Nomadic Delirium Press