March 2018 will mark the fourth year of Artemis Rising, the annual showcase of women and non-binary authors across the Escape Artists’s podcasts. This year the month of stories will be edited by Dani Daly and Katherine Inskip, with assistant editor Alexis Goble.
Submissions for original short fiction will run September 1-30, 2017, via our Submittable portal. Anyone who identifies as a woman, to whatever degree they do, and non-binary authors are welcome and encouraged to submit a story. We strongly encourage submissions from people of historically under-represented backgrounds, including people of color, LGBTQ authors, people with disabilities, members of religious minorities, and authors from outside the United States.
Here’s a summary of details:
- Submission window runs September 1-30.
- Payment at $0.06 per word. Please see our general Submission Guidelines for a description of the rights we purchase and our sample contracts.
- Original stories only.
- Word count: 2000 – 6000 words. We’re looking for stand-alone short stories, not flash.
- Submit using an anonymous manuscript format.
- No multiple submissions. One story per author or group of authors.
- No simultaneous submissions. Decisions will be finalized by November 30, 2017.
And the answers to a few FAQ:
- If a story has been rejected by Cast of Wonders in the past, can I re-submit it for Artemis Rising?
- A: No.
- Can I submit a rejected Artemis Rising story to the same podcast’s general submissions?
- A: No, because Artemis Rising editors may refer your story to the show’s regular editors at their discretion. If your story is declined, please take it as the story being declined for all purposes.
- If a story has multiple authors, do they all have to meet the AR criteria?
- A: Yes.
- If I’ve already submitted an Artemis Rising story, can I submit another I wrote with a co-author to the same podcast’s Artemis Rising?
- A: No.
- If I have a story on submission to a podcast, can I submit a different story to that podcast’s Artemis Rising while the first one is still in the queue?
Or vice versa?
- A: Yes, although we don’t anticipate being open to general submissions in September 2017.
Dani Daly, Katherine Inskip, Alexis Goble,
and the entire Cast of Wonders editorial team